Monday, February 28, 2011

Urgent Care on a Saturday is no place for a Germaphobe!!

You've heard that we've been sick in this house.
I've officially joined the group of bloggers who blog about all the illnesses that have been traveling around their house.
I was determined to not let this happen to us.
We washed our hands religiously. Avoided anyone who had a sniffle and I made sure to keep my girls on a regular sleep schedule this winter.
It worked so well, so well in fact that I was beginning to think that there was just no way we were going to get sick this winter at all.
Until we did!
It began on Wednesday. Alexa woke up vomiting.
Just as quick as it hit her, it went away. She went to school that afternoon and came home happy. Thursday morning, it happened again. And this time we kept her home from school.
Friday she woke up fine, went to school and all was well.
Then Saturday woke up vomiting again. WHAT?
She was so sick and lathargic, we couldn't get her to stay awake.
Finally, at around 11:30, I couldn't take it anymore. I drove her through a snowstorm to Urgent Care (hell on earth). Of course, the waiting room was full of sickness. People were wearing masks and coughing until they gagged. I knew I needed to be there for Alexa, but it was awful. I sat on the edge of the chair with Alexa on my lap in the far corner of the waiting room as far away from everyone else as possible. The thought of touching an armchair that someone had just coughed all over made me sick.
The waiting took forever. Time seems to stand still when you're in a place that you don't want to be, watching your child suffer.
Finally, they called her name. Finally!
She was tested for strep throat first. I wanted to strangle the nurse. Nobody likes getting a long q-tip shoved down the back of their throat, especially a sick little girl who hates the doctor anyway. This nurse took her sweet old time getting that q-tip to the back of her throat. I yelled at her to go QUICK or I would demand another nurse. Poor Alexa. Something that could have gone so fast, took far too long gave Alexa a bad impression.
The test came back negative. Good, because she didn't have strep - Bad, because she needed to be tested for the flu and needed to have a q-tip shoved up her nose. Ugh! :(
Luckily, the nurse got the point this time that she needed to move quickly. It was uncomfortable for Alexa, but went a lot better than the strep test.
The flu test came back negative as well. So, they ruled it a viral 'flu bug'. They have her a couple popsicles and sent us home.
I soaked us both in a hot hot bath/shower when we got home and we relaxed the rest of the day.
Alexa felt much better throughout the day Saturday and woke up as happy as can be Sunday morning. We kept her on a strict bland diet and she was able to keep everything down all day.
She slept good - woke up great and had another fantastic day.
2 days in a row without waking up sick - hopefully we are good to go.
There is nothing worse than seeing your child sick. I would have gone through it all myself if I could. It's one of the hardest things as a parent, but we always seem to get through it.
God never gives us more than we can handle. Even tho it was just a flu bug, I hope God knows I can't handle much more.