Wednesday, February 16, 2011

BYS Review: Diamond Shadow palette and LOTD


I was really excited when I got a worthwhile palette from BYS previously so I decided to risk it and try another palette to see if I could possibly strike out again and get something I could use without cringing over how much I spent on it.

Having tried BYS ages back and being thoroughly dissatisfied with the pitiful quality of products that although very cheap should at least be usable, I gave up on them and only used nail polishes. However I think my perspective on BYS has changed and now I am more willing to give them a fair chance, especially since I believe they are worthwhile daily products to invest on. Well, the products I have purchased thus far seem worthwhile.


These particular 8-shadow palettes retail for AUD$4.95 from Fashion Addict which is where I purchased this from. If I am not mistaken though, I got my Metallics palette from The Reject Shop for only AUD$3. So there is an obvious price difference but not one that I am overly fussed over.

What I loved about this palette was the idea that if I were going on trips and did not want to take much make up with me, this would be an ideal palette as it has colors for easy, daily looks: you have the blacks for a night look and browns for a neutral day look. The best part are the purples which is usually my go to color for looks and I seem to increasingly mix purples and browns together in looks (gross, I know) so everything is compatible with each other in this palette for me.

So how do they fare when swatched?


First off, I realized I did these swatches backwards. I did not really think about the order but I am sure you can figure it out. I personally am happy with how these swatch, they are pigmented and although some might argue with me on the black I actually prefer my black that pigmented and not any more pigmented as I find them harder to work with. The black can be built up to be darker so it works fine for me and even though in the palette it appears very glittery it does not translate the same when swatched. I think I love that the most about all the colors, how they all vary.


The only downside is the purples look similar. Either because this was taken in the night and I have not exactly checked since (oops) but they look remarkably similar to me. I am not too fussed though, for a cheap product you cannot really expect that much. No, I am just grateful that I got something I can work with!


This is a look I did with all the BYS products I order - the blush, lipstick and this Diamond Shadow palette. So it is a bit of a mismatched mish-mash but at least you can see how they are on me (and this was taken when I had first tanned massively so I look super tanned!).


I love BYS shadows for two things: you do not need a primer and they do not crease. The color will fade if you wear it for a prolonged period of time but considering how slim the palette is (another pro), you can easily tuck it into whatever bag you have for the day/evening and touch up. Only con is the palette has no mirror so you will need to either carry a mirror or find one you can work with (like a reflective glass, or when I am truly desperate I try using my iPhone screen...does not work needless to say).