Sunday, February 13, 2011

Modeling Life: Getting into the life of a promo girl


Everyone thinks it must be glamorous and certainly you need to have certain qualities in order to be a promo model however there is no glamor to the industry. There are definitely perks of being a model - no matter which arena you dominate, photographic, promotional or commercial (if you are curious, I do all three) - but unless you are a supermodel and able to be a diva because your reputation allows for it you are one in a million in an industry that does not care.
I can hardly complain: getting photographic work on a regular basis just does not happen. Seeing as I need the money I have no choice but to do promotional work. It is not at all bad, just sometimes it can be tedious and the stereotyping of promo girls is more often similar to that of a prostitute.

True, we use our feminine charms and looks to sell a product that ordinarily gets little attention but it does not mean we will go to extremes (i.e., give blow jobs, sleep with customers, etc.), so a little respect would be nice. We have families, we may even have a boyfriend to whom we are committed to and we may actually be amazing kind girls...all right, maybe not since you require a no-nonsense attitude to be a promo girl plus some balls but still. If you are me, you will know I am a feeble excuse for a promo girl: I just cannot be all sass, I still thank people for their time whenever I approach them even if they rudely reject what I am promoting.

Maybe this is a bit of a rant, maybe some people will think if I am going to act like such a princess then maybe I should go crawl under a rock and stay there instead of bothering but what can I say? It just hurts when you get comments like 'slut' or snide looks and mocking giggles. 

Enough said. Here is the look I did on Friday night, not knowing what color top I was wearing. It ended up being pink and I am so glad I decided to do a neutral eye. After these photos and the photos from throughout the night, I am more than convinced my foundation is too light for me after having tanned quite a bit recently but I am still hesitant about purchasing a darker foundation...what do you all think? Too tacky to pull off?




Hello pimple (that you cannot see in this photo, gr), how nice of you to pop up!



How does a girl comfort herself after a bad night on the job? Why, with food of course.