Thursday, February 24, 2011

Today I Ate A Rainbow Review



I am so excited to introduce you to Kia Robertson and her amazing way of getting your little ones to eat their fruits and veggies - even ones you never thought they'd eat.
Kia created the Today I Ate A Rainbow Chart to keep track of the produce her daughter was eating. Kia found that when life got busy she wasn't always ensuring that her daughter was getting all the proper fruits and vegetables each day. She wanted to her to help participate and take responsibilty for her food choices in a fun and interactive way.
Eating produce from all the main color groups every day gives you a good variety of vitamins,
minerals and phytonutrients.
This is how the Today I Ate A Rainbow Chart came to be.

My family received the Today I Ate a Rainbow Kit shown above.
It includes:
1 Today I Ate A Rainbow Chart
4 sets of colored magnets
4 achievement magnets
2 fridge magnets 1 color coded shopping list
The Rainbow Bunch Book
BONUS: Bookmark

In the Rainbow Bunch book you'll meet Ruby, Own, Yoshi, Gabby and Pippa. They take you on a jouney and teach you why it's important to eat your rainbow of fruits and veggies every day. The book is for children ages 2-5 years old and keep your kids intrigued with fun rhyming words. My girls love the characters and love reading about why it's healthy for them to make sure and eat their fruits and veggies.

The Shopping List is FANTASTIC. It's color coded and an easy way to make sure you are including enough fruits and vegetables on each grocery shopping trip. I especially tend to grab the basics, but this encourages me as a parent to make sure that my children are trying different varieties of produce.


I not only love how the Today I Ate A Rainbow Chart encourages my girls to eat the proper amount of fruits and vegetables each day, but it also encourages them to help out in making the decisions of what they are eating. We bring our list to the grocery store and they are able to check things off as we go. We make it a game and have them search the produce section to find something "red", "green" and so on. They get to pick out their favorites and then we try to help them find something new to try.

Lillian picked grapes


Alexa chose lettuce


Our Today I Ate A Rainbow Chart hangs on our fridge and is a constant reminder to not only Alexa and Lillian, but to my husband and I as well, to grab a banana for lunch, some berries for dessert, ect. Alexa and Lillian love making sure they have successfully completed each 'color' every day.


Yummy - oranges and apples!
Instead of eating cookies and treats for snack, they choose to eat something more healthy.

Kia has really made me think about about what my children are eating and how we can help each other choose to eat more fruits and vegetables. I recomend the Today I Ate A Rainbow chart to all parents with little ones. Even the choosiest of eaters (like my Alexa) will at least "try" different varieties of fruits and veggies - just to complete the rainbow every day.

I visit the Today I Ate A Rainbow blog often and keep up on fun facts regarding produce. I've definitley learned a lot and have shared the interesting facts with my girls. It's a great learning tool. Check out the Today I Ate A Rainbow site HERE, read their blog, sign up for the newsletter, follow them on Facebook and Twitter.