Thursday, January 20, 2011

Friday Feature: Mayhem, madness, 'mazing macaroons

It's time to fight Friday blues


I miss my Friday Features, in fact I miss my structured blog entries but I refrained from doing them (all the time) as they seemed to constrict my writing. That said, I'm enjoying the fact that it's Friday and while browsing a blog I felt the need to blog about it and realized I could. Under my Friday Features!

Macaroons...macarons, however you want to spell them, I prefer the former as there's something more appealing about the way it looks and fits the actual devilish delight. Would you believe, I actually have yet to have a proper macaroon! And yet I am so in love with them.

It all began with that episode of Masterchef Australia when Adriano Zumbo unveiled his macaroon tower for the elimination round to kill them all...

It was official: I was in love. The macaroon recipe was what did me in. I had conquered the apparently "difficult" red velvet cake and did it all by hand too (although I highly recommend investing on an electric mixer, doing it by hand is primitive and painful. I only did it because it was for Scott's birthday!) and needed a new challenge. So what better challenge than to try out macaroons? Pfui, I'll conquer them too!

Unfortunately it will be a long time until I can make my own deletable delights (alas, living in a residential college curbs your cooking inspiration, I await the day I move out eagerly!) but until then I waste no time in perusing anyone and everyone's accounts of macaroon madness!

From Masterchef Australia runner-up (and University of Adelaide student, yay for pride!) Callum Hann's recipe for Violet Macaroons with raspberries and butter cream which looks phenomenally hard to a more simple version of Violet's (haha, the irony...) Chocolate Macaroons (I highly suggest reading Violet's blog by the way, she's a cutie!) there is an abundance of recipes out there all with horror stories too.

Has anyone tried making these sugary treats? If so, any suggestions?