Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Nourish Hair Care sample review


The life of a university student is hard. It is hard when you use up what money you have and all that is left is about $3 in your bank account and $15 in your wallet. I wish I were lying but those are true figures. When you are also owed money from your agency and they are taking months to pay you...well that might just motivate your frustration. Last week I was out of toothpaste but luckily acquired money by selling a textbook (oh woe). Where did the rest of it go? Towards tickets to see a Jane Goodall lecture and zoo books which are pretty much important necessities. This week? I am out of shampoo and moisturizer. Life couldn't be crueler, two important basics for any girl and I have to run out of them this week.

The moisturizer dilemma I am putting on hold for the moment (and surviving off sunscreen, because that has moisturizer in it...I know, I am a genius) but shampoo? Have you seen my hair? There is no way I can get away with not washing it for a few days. Seriously, I shampoo my hair every single day. For all you people who are shaking your heads at me right now you cannot possibly understand what thick hair is like because knowing you, you are probably the ones with scanty hair. For you? Oh yes, it is so easy to get away with not washing your hair every day. It is probably better if you don't as well. But for me? No. I have to wash my hair every single day. Shampoo and double dose of conditioner. That is my hair routine.

So faced with the problem of no shampoo (I am actually thrilled: I have been waiting to finish up my evil animal testing shampoo - ahem, Pantene - for ages so I could purchase shampoo that doesn't test on animals. Why I didn't chuck it out sooner? Have you not read the whole part about me being dirt poor?) I was this close to lathering up soap. Soap. And washing my hair. That is how desperate I was.

Instead, I cleaned my desk. And luckily I found some shampoo samples that I got that one time Celeste and I fought to get our eager paws on a $50 goodie bag...oh I love that goodie bag all the more!


I was skeptical, I won't lie. Somehow I didn't trust this tiny packet of Nourish Hair Care shampoo could even make it below the thick layer of hair I have and clean my scalp. With no choice but to try I ripped it up in the shower and got a palm-full of shampoo...which lathered up and almost seemed too much for my hair. I was thrilled! A clear, slightly yellow-ish colored shampoo that has a faint scent (woohoo! No more allergies to shampoo!) of grape seed and mandarin orange, Nourish Hair Care shampoo at first seems like it will strip your hair of oil and leave it a tangled mess - is it just me or does anyone else have that suspicion about clear colored shampoos?

However, what it does instead is lather up nicely and upon washing it out leaves your hair feeling unbelievably clean and fresh. I honestly loved the feeling of my hair, it just felt so clean and nourished! It was crazy.

I used the conditioner sample that came along with the shampoo sample and once again was skeptical as it didn't run through my hair properly (as evil product conditioner does - ahem, Sunsilk) but when I stood under the shower my hair just smoothed out and I could run my fingers through it. Now, you probably will never get the opportunity to shower with me but trust me, when I shampoo my hair usually it gets seriously tangled and I used the conditioner part of my routine to yank out all these tangles. Leaving me with clumps of hair in the drain. I had the same de-tangling going on (no hair product will ever work perfectly on my hair I don't think) but it was significantly less and I loved how little time it took to wash the conditioner out! I hate how long it usually takes me to wash conditioner out of my hair, I hate wasting so much water! So for me this was a big plus!

Verdict? I can't really judge based on using Nourish Hair Care once because obviously any head of hair will love a change in shampoo and conditioner but I loved the results enough to consider buying this shampoo and conditioner (oh when I get money...if only) and trying it out properly. Definitely the best result I have gotten using a sample sachet though - I have a lot of hair, so this is incredible that it managed to clean my hair!


My favorite thing about this brand? That's right, their 'no animal testing' reassurance.