Tuesday, April 26, 2011

An Anniversary ...15 years in the making

I'm going to toot my own horn here for just a minute, if you don't mind ...

This month, I celebrate my 15th year of book reviewing.  My, how time flies!

In 1996, I was encouraged by my sister-in-law, Sue Chance, to look into writing book reviews after we had had a lively conversation regarding Oprah Winfrey's newly established book club.

So I approached my local hometown newspaper, the Wichita Falls Times Record News, to see if they might be interested and features editor Bridget Knight introduced me to the wonderful world of reviewing. The first book I reviewed was "The Kiss" by Kathryn Harrison. (by the way, Bridget is still my editor!)

Now, 15 years, and a few thousand reviews later, I'm still reading and reviewing, and still loving every minute of it!  I've read hundreds of wonderful books (and a far share of stinkers) and have made the acquaintance of hundreds of authors, many who I count as dear friends. And I still get excited about the next book I have lined up to read.

So here's to the love of reading, and sharing that love with others.