Sunday, December 12, 2010

We just got 2 FEET of snow over the weekend.......No Biggie!

Living in Minnesota, I've learned that you can't always trust the weather predictions. One news station says one thing, the other says another and the newspaper says something completely different and then an hour later it all changes anyways and they may or may not always be right. You just have to roll with the punches and be prepared for anything.

Friday was no different. I heard forecasts ranging from 1-3 inches all the way up to 18-20 inches of snow and winds blowing anywhere from 10-15 mph to 40mph. This particular weekend, it didn't matter too much to me either way - we didn't have any plans to travel, thank goodness.

We woke up Saturday morning to at least a foot of snow on the ground and it was still snowing and blowing like crazy. Our snowblower is down for the count, but luckily our neighbors came to our rescue. They came Saturday morning and cleared our driveway and then again Saturday night about 9:30 when all the snow had finalley stopped.


Jamie snowblowing in the dark..
Sunday morning brought sunshine and negative degree temperatures.

I wish I would have gotten a picture of the snow covering our deck - the drifts were taller than Lillian. But, here is me Sunday morning shoveling it all away. Don't mind the artwork on the window. It's still there from Adam's Birthday in early November.

Alexa took these pics of us from inside. She was so helpful in watching Lillian for us while we shoveled outside. They watched a movie and Alexa got her a snack of goldfishy crackers and m&m's.

Alexa took this picture of Chip watching us shovel. He is so thankful that he has a walkway now to his spot to go 'pee'. All day Saturday during the blizzard, he was jumping through the snow drifts trying not to get burried. I felt bad for him, but it made me laugh watching his short little legs make their way through the snow piles.

Adam had to clear all the snow away from our mailboxes. There was literally no travel all day Saturday and no mail was delivered. The plows didn't even come by to plow our street until early Sunday morning.

Our house
Our driveway
We are so grateful to our neighbors Jamie and Dave for clearing out our driveway twice and then the end of our driveway again after the plows had been by. Like I mentioned in my previous post, we have the best neighbors around. The BEST!!

Hooray for Chip!! Here is his potty spot.

You can kind of get an idea of the amount of snow we got in the picture below. See how high it is on the fence? Also, we have some horseshoe pits in our backyard that are completely burried. You can sort of see and indentation from the boards if you look closely. (there are 2 lines and a little cirle in the middle)

There was a good 2 feet of snow inside our trampoline and it was starting to sag, so the hubs got inside and shoveled his little heart out and cleared it all away. It may not seem like that much, but he had to hoist all that heavy snow over the net.

The photo below is a shot of our neighbors house and their car totally burried. Also, you can't see it, but at the end of their driveway is a huge garbage can - completely under snow.

Adam and Dave are discussing the science of blowing snow. It has to be done in a way that when it snows again and when the plows come by, our driveway and road is not narrowed in any way. It's very serious and requires 2 intelligent men to figure out. haha

Our neighbor Andy, waving! I love this picture for many reasons. 1.) I love Andy's hat 2.) he's waving at me knowing full well I'm taking his picture AND 3.) He's smiling!! Sorry that the picture is taken from so far away so you can't see these 3 things, well maybe the wave!
Only in Minnesota, you will see a man shoveling 2 feet of snow in negative temperatures with a smile on his face. Love it!


Our mailboxes

A white Christmas this year? I THINK SO!

I have to admit that even tho it was so cold that my face was completely numb (I suppose it didn't help that Dave shoveled snow in my face either..haha), I was wearing so many layers of clothing that I could hardly move, the snow was piled so high in our back yard that when I walked it went up to my waist and I got stuck and I had icicles hanging from my nose - I had fun. It's pretty weird, too, because I h.a.t.e snow and I h.a.t.e being cold.

An icicle hanging from the neighbors garage
If the pictures above don't have you believing all the snow we got this weekend maybe this will convince you.
The Minnesota Vikings were supposed to play the New York Giant today at noon. They changed the game to Monday night due to the Giants not being able to fly into Minnesota for the game because all flights coming into Minnesota were cancelled. WELL, that changed this morning when the Metrodome collapsed due to the snow. Not only did it collapse, it's tore in 3 places, causing the field to be drenched in snow. Yep! Believe it! It's all over the news. The Vikings will be playing the Giants in Detroit tomorrow night at 6:20pm.

As you can imagine - nobody was out and about at all this weekend and if you were - you're crazy! I get this really weird feeling of claustrophobia when storms like this happen and we're surrounded by vast blankets of white. Yes, it was just one day - but, it just the thought of not being able to get out of the house and go somewhere, not that we would have, but that we couldn't.

The girls were awesome considering we were cooped up for the day.

Lillian got some texting in..
And we got lots of holiday treats made as a family.
Alexa and Lillian spent a great time and put lots of creative thought into their reindeer dust.
They measured and stirred and added and sprinkled everything just right.


We also made banana bread and chex mix for the neighbors.
AND some yummy chocolates (not pictured) - photo compliments of Alexa.


Adam and I are concluding the weekend with our coca cola's in round ornament shaped bottles that we picked up today out on our outing to Walmart. We don't drink coke, but thought these were cute and no the coke didn't taste any different in the fun little bottles. :)



Cheers!!!!