Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wednesday WhatsIts: Lasagna a la Rice Cooker

Gotta get it outta my system on a Wednesday

(Image taken from Yumeko's blog 'A Dream of Tokyo')

One way I love to relax is to browse through blogs I love and my current favorite is Yumeko's A Dream of Tokyo. She is such an adorable blogger with a mature twist to her entries too. Mixing in fashion, beauty, culture and personal interests and quirks, her entries make for a great read in the evening after a long day.



There was one particular entry that I fell in love with when I first encountered her blog and sealed the deal for me while also giving me something to try out one day.

Now, if you're Asian - well, in my case [half] Japanese - then you understand the importance of this appliance: the almighty Rice Cooker! It is THE one appliance we have to have and owning one makes your life complete. No joke, it's a serious matter! Rice is important in any Asians life even if we don't acknowledge it. I'm not too sure about other Asians but I always feel guilty if I leave behind even a grain of rice in my bowl, every single one has be eaten otherwise it's just wasteful.

Anyway, enough with the rice, my focus today is the cooker itself. It's amazing how you just assume something or someone is only as they seem only to find out that there is more than meets the eye. That's what Yumeko's entry on rice cooker lasagna (scroll to the end) made me feel! How insanely good does it look?! At first I was pretty skeptical and almost horrified over the thought of using a sacred appliance in such a manner but the more I thought about it the more I fell in love with this unconventional way of cooking.

So even though I don't yet own a rice cooker (first thing I'll purchase as soon as I move into my own place though!) I definitely know this is high on my list of things to try out.

Check out Yumeko's blog for more delightful entries and try out this recipe if you own a rice cooker, don't be scared!