Saturday, July 31, 2010

Saturday Squeeze: Stardust (The Novel)

Subconsciously making my Saturday that much better

During my sixteen hour transit at Changi Airport, I finished reading 'Stardust' by Neil Gaiman. Apparently it has been made into a movie but I have yet to see it however considering how much I loved the book I think I will watch it soon.

The book is, as Gaiman describes it, a mature fairytale. Initially I thought it was for a younger audience but getting through the first few chapters I soon came to realize that it really targets more mature readers who are still enthralled by tales involving magical beings and the impossible (yes, I do fit into that category!).

Now, truthfully I do skim through pages when a book gets slow but with this book I didn't skip a word, it was that well written and flowed amazingly throughout. If you've seen the movie adaptation of Gaiman's 'Coraline' you'll know just how fascinatingly, darkly creative he is and that is exactly what you can expect from 'Stardust'.

A perfect read to take with you if you have a few hours to spare on a flight (as I did) for it fits perfectly in a handbag or pocket even. I definitely suggest it and if anyone has seen the movie let me know if it's any good! I look forward to comparing the book and movie so look forward for that in the near future.