Saturday, July 24, 2010

In Between: Bubble Tea At Bubble Queen

Just a little filler, just whiling away my days


Since discovering it in Hong Kong, I've been quite the addict when it comes to Bubble Tea (or Boba as I occasionally refer to it when I'm feeling particularly Asian) and wherever I am in the world I have to have my fix. Unfortunately, moving from Hong Kong to Sri Lanka four years ago brought an end to my Boba addiction as the only place that offered this treat in Sri Lanka had closed down. It was only when I moved to Adelaide earlier this year that I was able to rekindle my affair with Boba.

Imagine my surprise when I returned to Sri Lanka for my winter break (er, summer time for everyone else) and found out from Mummy's friend that there is a new place here that caters exclusively for Bubble Tea and not only that some other mouthwatering treats too! It was literally heaven on Earth when I discovered Bubble Queen down Galle Road.

My main fix is the regular tea with pearls but recently I tried the Green Apple Bubble Tea which I imagined would be milky (as it usually is in other countries) but turned out to be a clear, bright green instead and surprisingly great for an extremely hot day. The only con of this is that after you finish it you don't get that satisfyingly full feeling you get after a regular Boba - instead you're craving more!

All in all though I definitely think Bubble Queen has great potential in Sri Lanka and I'm looking forward to seeing them expand their business...and hopefully open up a place next door to my house!

Read more about Bubble Queen here: http://www.dailymirror.lk/index.php/travel/38-travel-tips/4939-a-bubbly-experience-.html