Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Carousel Painter by Judith Miller



Sometimes, when browsing through a bookstore I’ll run across a book whose cover just appeals to me, and beckons – “Buy me, buy me!” And being a weak book addict, I pick it up and take it home. (I know, I know….)

“The Carousel Painter” by Judith Miller was one such book. I’ve had this one for a while (it was released in 2009, but my local Sam’s Club had them out), and finally got around to reviewing it.

About The Book:

Without the means to support herself after her father dies, Carrington Brouwer receives the opportunity to use her artistic talent at her friend's father's carousel factory. But the men at the factory are not happy that a woman has been given the very desirable job of painting the elaborately carved horses.

When mishaps occur at the factory and jewelry disappears from the home of the factory owner, accusations swirl. Is the handsome young factory manager truly Carrie's ally or will he side with those who believe she should be fired?

My Thoughts:

The Carousel Painter was one of those books that draws your eye with its attractive cover, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the story inside was equally pleasing and attractive.

Set in the 1890s, at a time when women were expected to stay home and raise families, the main character of this story, Carrington Brouwer, was spunky enough to seek a job in a mainly-male industry of creating the wonderful, fanciful carousels that were so popular back then. An artist by trade and talent, Carrie was sufficiently qualified to work as a painter on the beautiful animal sculptures, but she faced obstacles from both men and women as she set out to prove herself.

Judith Miller, who is well known for her collaboration with fellow author Tracie Peterson, includes a great deal of history of the era combined with a charming romance that results in a pleasant afternoon’s reading.

For more information on Judith Miller’s writing, check out her website at http://www.judithmccoymiller.com/

(This book is from my personal collection.)