Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday Feature: Fighting The Blues Today

It's time to fight Friday blues

It's coming to the end of the week and considering I was traveling for about a day plus some earlier this week, returned to Adelaide only to tackle three lectures and unpacking and then dealing with work and catching up with other work etc. it's gotten me pretty darn exhausted and just a little drained...make that really really really drained!

So what I did for my Friday Feature was to investigate ways of cheering yourself up. I googled it (because I'm a big google-r and I will just about google anything!) and found some websites that suggested ways of cheering yourself up! How neat is that?

Here are some of my favorites:


Drink two glasses of water. Many times, what I thought was sadness was really just dehydration. Sounds simple, but it's true.
I haven't exactly tried this out but I might just do so the next time I have a bad day! As it turns out, this might be why I'm so grumpy all the time because I tend to neglect food and water a lot, uh oh!

Eat something healthy and fresh. You could be feeling blue because your blood sugar has taken a dip. Eat a bowl of fresh fruits or vegetables.
Something else to take into consideration! I know a lot of the times my mood will turn sour if I'm hungry or if I don't have enough sugar/proper food in me.

Blow bubbles for a child.
I prefer doing this with my cat because the way he chases the bubbles is just too cute! (: I love making my own bubble mixture - I mix a bunch of shampoos together with not too much water so the bubbles last longer. I also use a straw to blow my bubbles, definitely more fun.

Make something. Use your creative mind, and create something with your own two hands, whether it is a piece of jewelry, a scrapbook page, a pretty floral arrangement or a batch of cookies.
Keeping yourself occupied with something else is a great way of forgetting why you were moody to begin with especially if it's something intricate like crochet or making jewelry. I love creative projects (:

Read, read, read.
Usually this is the remedy I turn to and I find getting lost in a fantasy novel is the best way to go because the author takes you to an entirely different world so you really do feel like you've "gone away" for a while!

Try a new approach to your problem, or a new approach to whatever your facing.
Always see the best in every situation! For example, I hate wet hair but I know that at least it means I don't have to wash it again. Okay, so maybe not the best example but you get what I mean I hope!

Mark Twain said, "The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up." He's right, and it doesn't have to mean a big time investment. Just do something thoughtful for someone, right now.
This is so true and so self explanatory - hurray for selflessness!

Choose your thoughts with care; they can really have an impact.
Gosh this is SO true for me! Most of the time my mind will go crazy making up possible scenarios to the original problem that I'll end up with a script fit for a soap drama! Positive thoughts are the way to go even if you're kidding yourself in the end.

Play with a kitten or a puppy.
Because they are too cute to resist and you always end up smiling!

Shout at an inanimate object. Computers. Cars. Chairs. Whatever. Then spend the rest of the day ignoring it.
I thought this one was really funny! I can't imagine doing this but I might just try...

You can read all the ways on the following websites:

Cheer Yourself Up: 25 Instant Mood Lifters

101 Ways To Cheer Yourself Up

Pomgirl: 5 Ways To Cheer Yourself Up