Friday, July 23, 2010

Friday Feature: Red Velvet Cupcakes

It's time to fight Friday blues

I first heard of red velvet cake about six years ago but I never pursued the recipe nor was I particularly interested in finding out what the big deal was surrounding this cake. Sometime last year though, Mummy and I were shopping for goodies and I happened to spot a red velvet cake. Not wanting to miss the chance, I got the cake and boy oh boy did it really turn my house upside down! I definitely see why this is a favorite with a lot of people.

I've managed to make this cake successfully for Scott's birthday earlier this year (with no electric mixer too! And boy oh boy is hand mixing a chore!) and it came out rather well making me confident that it'll be one of my signature recipes in no time. However I think making smaller versions of it will be quite challenging and look forward to making these cupcakes someday soon (along with Red Velvet cookies!).

For now, if you want to try it yourself then this is the recipe I'm using: Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting by Paula Deen

Best of luck if you decide to tackle it too - let me know how yours turn out!