Saturday, May 21, 2011

Phở - Trying Vietnamese Food in NYC

DSC_0068
I have so much I want to share with you from our trip this past week to New York City! (We had an amazing time!) I have photos, stories, and unique places to tell you about. Since today is a Saturday, and I like my Food themed Saturday posts - I want to tell you about our first visit to a Vietnamese Restaurant, and the wonderful dish 'Phở'! (Pronounced 'Fuh').

DSC_0071

Our friends in Brooklyn knew of a great place to get Phở in Manhattan, and we were happy to meet them there! The place is called 'Mott Pho Bang'. It was a nice little place, with a cool atmosphere.
DSC_0073

Phở is a soup dish, with white rice noodles, beef broth, and very thinly sliced, slightly rare beef (Or Chicken, but we went with Beef.) Before they bring your soup out to the table, they bring all sorts of accoutrements and garnishes. Including - Vietnamese basil, Lemon, Bean Sprouts, Sriracha, Fish Oil, Red Chili Oil, Red Chili Paste, Hoisin sauce, and more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

DSC_0075

When you're really starting to get hungry looking at all the goodness on your table, they finally bring out your huge steaming bowl of soup! (With Chopsticks and a really big spoon.)

DSC_0076

Then the fun part begins - Adding what you like from the table to your bowl. Everyone's dish turns out so different by the end! I had a great time adding one ingredient at a time and tasting, then adding more. The taste was constantly changing, and getting better with every ingredient!

DSC_0077

I can't wait to have this delicious comfort food again! Have you ever tried Pho?