Friday, May 27, 2011

Armchair BEA - Blogging About Blogging



Today is the last day of the Armchair BEA event, and I've really enjoyed being involved this year.  Today's topic is "Blogging About Blogging," and the gals have come up with several questions about the blogging process - so here goes ...


  • How do you utilize social networking in relation to your blog? What may be the pros and cons of doing so?
I use Facebook, Twitter, BookBlogs, Goodreads, etc. with my blogging for many different reasons. One, to get word out about my reviews I've posted or special events I'm involved in; and Two, because i enjoy the social interaction.  It's not for everyone - I just happen to like it!
  • Share some of your favorite blogging technical tips.

Blogging Techniques - hmmm...I sit down, I read the book and then I write what I think about it in a blog post.  I guess that's my technique. :)
  • Create a "rule list" of things you should and shouldn't be doing on a book blog. 

Rule 1. Read lots of good books and if you love them, tell people about them.
Rule 2. See Rule 1.
Rule 3. HAVE FUN!!!! 

On the serious side, in my own personal opinion, I think that a book review blog should deal with books and book related items. I see a lot of product reviews on some blogs, and that's fine for them, but on my own - I try to limit the products to something book-ish.
  • What are your tips for balance life and blogging?
See Rules 1, 2 and 3 above! 
  • What genre do you blog about and why?


I read a wide variety of books - but my favorite genres are women's fiction, cozy mysteries, romances, memoirs, cookbooks, gardening books, and crafting books.   Why do I blog about these types of books?  See Rules 1, 2 and 3 above!
  • How do you keep your blog fresh and interesting to your readers & yourself?
I like to change my background around quite a bit - to keep it looking fresh and interesting. I add what I think are interesting widgets on the sidebars, and I participate in fun events, like giveaway hops and book blog hops. I also have occasional giveaways.

  • There are quite a few book blogging events out there. Which are your favorites and why? How do they affect your blog directly?
I participate in several weekly memes.  "It's Monday, What Are You Reading" by Sheila at Book Journey is a great one; I like Teaser Tuesday by MizB at Should Be Reading; Waiting On Wednesday by Jill at Breaking The Spine is a lot of fun and a source of great book ideas; and Jennifer at Crazy-for-Books' weekly blog hop is fantastic fun!

How do they affect my blog - well, it brings traffic by, but I've also made some great friends among the bloggers I've met through these memes.  Sometimes I neglect visiting and posting comments, but I do love to read the various blogs to see what others are up to!

So there you go, my "advice" on blogging, Armchair BEA-style.  I hope you've enjoyed this week of reflections and opinions - I know it's been fun on my end. 

Now go forth, find good books and read!!!  That's the reason we are all here - cause we love to READ!!!