Sunday, May 22, 2011

Obscura, Antiques and Oddities

While we were in New York City, we stopped in the most unique Antique Store I have ever been in!

DSC_0015

The store is called 'Obscura' and they describe their inventory as "Antiques and Oddities" and that is a very accurate description! You may have even seen this shop before on a Television Show on the Science Channel, called 'Oddities'.

DSC_0027

This place was high on the list of places we wanted to see while in the City, and we made it one of our first stops. It was absolutely worth it! It was a small shop packed full of items, and I could have stood there all day, looking at all the interesting items and pieces of history they had for sale! There were many one of a kind items, that I know I will never see again in my life. Some cool, some weird, and some just down right creepy. And we loved it!

DSC_0030
DSC_0024
DSC_0026

We saw lots of camera's and people outside the shop when we got there, we think they were getting ready to film for the show! We were also lucky enough to meet the owners, Mike and Evan! They were so friendly, and really eager to talk about all their unique items with us, and their experience since the show has been on the air. They were humble and funny, and they even knocked a few dollars off the items we purchased! It was an absolute pleasure to meet them! You can see them, (and Adam) in the photo below -
DSC_0031

I wish I could stop in at Obscura once a week, just to see what new things they have! I can't wait to go again, I gained a lot of inspiration and creativity while we were in there! I'll end with one more photo - One of my favorite photos from the trip!

Here's Adam, in Obscura, Holding a cute little Taxidermy Rat in a Bunny Suit!!

DSC_0025