Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My First Graphic Novel - Swallow Me Whole

Adam and I had a chance the other day to check out a small Comic Book Store in Brooklyn. I've never been huge into comics (I've never actually read all the way through one! gasp!), but there are a few that the Mr. follows, so we stopped by on our way to breakfast.



It was small, but very neat and organized. The owner was kind and excited to talk to us and recommend things for us. Before Adam found something he was interested in, I found a Graphic Novel I HAD to read! I think it was just calling my name from the shelf!

The Graphic Novel is called "Swallow Me Whole" by Nate Powell. It's the first graphic novel I've read (And my first comic).



From the back cover: "..a love story carried by rolling fog, terminal illness, hallucination, apophenia, insect armies, secrets held, unshakable faith, and the search for a master pattern to make sense of one's unraveling."

The format of the graphic novel took me a little bit to get used to. There are just less words than a novel I would usually read, but the beautiful photos make up for it so much. I had to slow down and remember to really take in all the pictures. As soon as we got back to our place that night I started the book, and I finished it on the train on the way home. Since we've been home, I've read through the entire thing again! I really love it, especially for my first graphic novel!



The Author does an incredible job of placing you in the shoes of the characters, and actually makes you understand what it might feel like to be schizophrenic! Somehow, you know what these teens are feeling and sympathize. You can even relate with their parents and teachers so easily. The whole piece took me to a new place, and I think everyone should check it out! Highly Recommended!

Can anyone recommend another Graphic Novel I need to read? Can't wait for my next one now!