Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Vacation - Part II ~ Catering a Wedding

A little over a year ago when we just moved into our house, my brother Ben came over to celebrate his 21st Birthday. He brought a good friend of his, Dan.
My husband, who loves to grill, put on a huge feast in honor of his big day.
Now, when my husband grills, it's not just your typical hamburger or hot dog. Oh, but he does those, too. He makes fajita's, chicken, sausage, pork chops...you name it...sometimes all at once. You'd think we'd always be stuck with tons of leftovers, but we're not.
Adam's grilling is like an art. He takes it seriously and the job is never a quick one.
He has to prep the meat. This is a process, as he has to marinate each and every piece carefully. And if you think you're going to get his secret marinating recipe's ~ forget it...he duct tapes all the labels of his special ingredients. The only thing you'll get out of him is to douse your meat in lime. Next, he preps the grill and heats the coals to a perfect temp. I'm not sure what temp that would be, but he's got it down pat. Then, he begins the grilling process. Again, not a quick one (but, mind you..the wait is worth it). Each piece of meat is grilled inside and out with the utmost TLC at a very slow pace so it can soak in all the flavors. When all is done, the meat is sprinkled with lime and served in trays of tin foil.
Let me tell you, each and every bite you take is a like the perfect combination of everything good. It really is!!
Ok, so back to my brother's Birthday...Adam grilled and the food was served.
Dan, who has never had the pleasure of tasting Adam's cooking was speechless. Literally.
He just sat there and ate and ate and ate some more. He couldn't get enough of Adam's delicious masterpiece.
When finally he was able to speak, he said..."Dude, you should totally cater my wedding next summer ~ I have to have this chicken served at my wedding ~ It's the best chicken I've ever tasted in my life.."
And Adam replied, in typical 'guy' fashion, "Heck Yeah Dude, Let's do it!!!" (Not really thinking Dan was serious)
A few months past and Adam received a phone call from Leah, Dan's fiance. "So, Dan tells me that you make the most magnificent chicken and you're going to be catering our wedding reception."
A little bit shocked that this was actually happening, Adam was honored to take on the challenge, reminding them that he wasn't an actual caterer, just a guy who likes to BBQ.
On August 7th, 2010 Dan and Leah were joined in marriage.
Adam grilled chicken for their wedding reception of 300 guests.
With the help of my little brother Danny and his girlfriend, Courtney, my brother Ben and his girlfriend Kelly and myself, Adam was able to prepare and grill over 300 lbs of chicken to serve at the wedding. He had 2 six foot long grills and worked his magic. People raved about the chicken for days.
I could not be more proud of my hubs. He pulled off his very first catering gig of over 100 people without a single hitch. (Except for the 'seek shelter advisory' due to tornado warnings all over the county' ~ Luckily, it missed us.)
Unfortunatley, I was so busy helping serve the food, I didn't get a chance to take any pictures.
This all went on Saturday night of Flekkefest before we headed out to the cabin to continue the rest of our vacation....stay tuned for Part III of our vacation tomorrow.