Thursday, August 26, 2010

Kindergarten...

I've been meaning to write about Alexa going off to kindergarten, but every time I start, a big lump wells up in my throat and a tears fill my eyes. (yep..just happened again)

I told myself long ago, even before I was a Mom, that I would never be one of those parents that were always in denial that their child was growing up. I would never slow their progress down just because I was sad they were past a certain stage in their life.

Well, then I had my own kids!! I can see how some parents get kinda crazy and keep their kid in diapers until they are 4, just because they still think they're a 'baby'. I can see why they force them to still crawl, so they don't have to come to terms of having a 'baby' who 'walks'.

I've handled myself pretty well so far, I think. Alexa started walking on her own on her first Birthday, was potty trained and completely out of diapers a few weeks after that and was off the bottle at 15 months. Lillian was walking at 9 months and completely potty trained at 2 years. (I did nurse her until her 2nd Birthday - but, yay me for being able to produce milk that long, right?) I got through all that ok.

But, I'm just not able to get over this whole Kindergarten thing. Why is this so hard for me? Is it because Alexa is now a 'school-ager?', because it makes me feel old?, because I have Motherly anxiety and just worry about her getting on the right bus, finding her classroom, making new friends, doing well in class..ect.??

The more she gets excited about it, the more emotional I get.

I've always joked that when my kids go off to kindergarten is the day I'll need to start therapy and that I'll be moving into their dorms with them when they go off to college.

Now I'm starting to think this may actually happen. HELP!

Someone please tell me these feelings go away after at least the first week??

(Because not only is Alexa starting Kindergarten, Lillian will be in full time Preschool ~ Double HELP!!)

*************************


Link up here.
Topic: What is your Toddlers Favorite TV Show/Movie

Lillian has lots of different favorites (which makes it sound like we watch a ton of TV, but we don't).

She gets stuck watching things like The Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana, Zack & Cody, iCarly and Wizards of Waverly Place, because that's what her big sister watches.

(She (my 2 year old) said to me the other day, "Mommy, I heart Jonas".)

Now, before you go on thinking I'm a horrible Mother for letting my 2 year old watch these shows, she doesn't watch them often and she does get her fair share of Mickey Mouse Club House and whatever is on PBS Kids at that given moment. (I'm all about educational televsion, too.)

But, I'd have to say that Lillian prefers movies over TV. She LOVES all the Shrek movies. We've nearly worn them out. She likes anything with music and singing. She has a Disney Princess Sing-Along that's nearly worn, too. She also likes, Finding Nemo, The Little Mermaid, Horton Hears a Who, Curious George and the High School Musical movies.