Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fun Find! Polaroid Model 95!

A few weeks ago I was able to purchase this fantastic camera, with it's case and several accessories to go with it!

DSC_0755

Of course, I had to do some research to find out exactly when it's from and now I'd like to share what I learned! The Camera is a Polaroid Land Camera, Model 95. It was the FIRST Instant camera ever sold to consumers! The inventors name was Edwin Land, hence the title Polaroid 'Land Camera'. (I always thought the Land part of the name was about taking pictures of Landscapes, but now we will all know better :) This model was manufactured from the years 1948-1953.

DSC_0776

When it came out in 1948, the retail price was $89.75, which is pretty much like buying a new DSLR camera today!

Here's a great advertisement for the camera in 'Modern Photography' Magazine, in 1949!
Modern Photography 1949

I also found an article from 'Popular Science' Magazine about the camera, written in 1947! Great title, right?
xlg_polaroid

This camera is available now in The Shop. It's too great of an item for me to keep, I can't wait to send it out into the world to someone who can really appreciate this little piece of history!