Monday, May 10, 2010

1st Annual Grout Family Reunion/Mother's Day

The Grout's

What a fun-filled weekend full of family and love. I couldn't ask for anything better.

We had the 1st Annual Grout Family Reunion at our house on Saturday. Considering we planned the whole event in a matter of a few weeks, it turned out fabulous. My Mom and I had the idea to get everyone together on my Dad's side with the hope of Grandpa Dick being able to be there as well. I got in touch with Bruce, my Dad's cousin, and literally in a matter of MINUTES he had all 7 of his siblings on board to be there. I was completely impressed.

As it got closer to the date, my Mom and Dad brought it up to Grandpa and asked if he thought he could make the trip down to the cities to stay at my house for a weekend for the reunion. Sure enough, he thought that would work and before I knew it my 90 year old Grandpa was standing in my living room. Above all, him being there, meant so much to me.

Saturday morning went by quickly preparing for the Grout's to arrive. Bruce was the first to come and then they all started trickling in one after the other. Despite the few snow flakes we saw before everyone got there and the chilly temps, we all managed to have a great time. It was nice to be able to visit with everyone in a happy environment and not at a funeral or something. We sat in the backyard shielded from the wind, some played washers and horseshoes and we all visited. We went through old photos and family letters. It was so nice. This family has such a great sense of what being a 'family' is all about. It's refreshing to be a part of that. I told many how impressed I was with how quickly this event was pulled together by Bruce getting everyone on board so quickly and I got this look from (I think it was Nancy) like yeah?, why wouldn't we..if it's a family event we're all going to be there. It's just as simple as that. Wow! How incredible is that?

Alexa and Lillian made close friends with their cousins Machaela and Autumn. They were very sad to see them go and informed me that they are BFF's FOREVER!! Alexa can't wait to see little Machaela again very soon, which just prooves that we all need to get toegther more often.

We ended up having close to 40 people at our house, which is what makes Adam and I so happy to be able to have our new house, to accommodate all these people. Mark and Rocky have offered to host the next reunion and we already have the date set for May 14th. I'm looking forward to seeing them all again.

**********

I was so happy to be able to wake up and wish my Mom a Happy Mother's Day in person. I haven't been able to spend Mother's Day with her for several year's, so this was one of the many things that made my day. Unfortunately, my Dad had to work Sunday afternoon, so they had to bolt very early.

I spent the rest of the day being spoiled by my husband and 2 amazing little girls. They gave me a huge hanging flower basket to hang at our front entrance and a couple water globes to keep it watered all the time. Plus, they made me the most amazing little presents at school. Alexa made me a bead bracelet with my name on it and Lillian made a flower in a flower pot with a beautiful poem. Alexa also spent her 'own' money on my favorite candy reese's peanut butter cups and a pink lint roller. I loved everything. Oh, and I can't forget that I got some garage sale money and a card from my little puppy son, Chip. hehe

Overall, the day was quite relaxing. I worked on some garage sale stuff, pricing everything out and getting it organized for this week's sale. We took the girls on a trip to Sonic in Savage for slushies and icecream and then baths and bed. It was a great day and I'm so blessed to have such great little girls to make this day so extra special. I love them SO much!