Sunday, September 19, 2010

Darling Girls Cosmetics Order #1

Looking to color my life through my eyes

There is just one thing I can say about Darling Girl Cosmetics and that is I love love love how feminine and girlie I feel when I use any DGC product. And I don't do feminine or girlie usually but just a bit of this and that and I feel like donning a dress and heels for the day. It's a good thing and it's probably why I'm using my samples as carefully as possible so they last for longer!



I was really excited when I received my order, I had been corresponding with Susan (the owner of DGC) prior to ordering and after ordering and was pretty keen to get certain products we had discussed. Susan is so wonderful and really great with recommendations: I was a little stuck on what exactly to get initially but she gave a few suggestions which helped out a lot with my final choices.

In total I ordered seven eyeshadow samples, three blush samples, one full sized tinted lip balm and got two free samples too - an eyeshadow and tinted lip balm. Everything came safely and wrapped in the prettiest purple tissue paper which I still keep everything in!

The three blushes I got are 'Sunset Samba', one that Susan recommended and definitely not for the fainthearted! It's an ultra shimmery pastel orange and not your typical blush but definitely lovely to dab on when it's sunny outside and you want minimum makeup. I also got 'Carnival' and 'Playful Rum', the former being a beautiful blush color that I definitely want a full size of and the latter being a nice subtle color for a nice night out or even during the day.

(Note: All photos will be first without flash and then with flash. I'm sorry if you notice my goosebumps but it's a cold day today and being exposed to the elements for even a short time gets me frozen! I know, my endurance is pitiful!)

From top to bottom: 'Sunset Samba', 'Carnival' and 'Playful Plum'. I'm loving the names for these, that's one thing Susan gets right - tasteful names that match up to the color.

The two eye shadows I was most excited for were definitely 'Palm Springs' and 'Babe Dahl' and I wasn't disappointed - both are great colors to wear daily and with pretty much anything. Susan recommended I get 'Red Sky' if I were to get 'Palm Springs' as they make a great combo and honestly? They really do make a great combo so if you're looking into either color make sure you get the other to compliment it.

Those were my "unusual" choices, I normally choose colors along the lines of 'Idyllic', 'Aziza' and 'Electric Lady' and 'Sea Nymph' was my "out of the box" color as I'm looking into experimenting more with green colors seeing as green is my favorite color but I seem to lack a lot of green attire and make up.

From top to bottom: 'Red Sky', 'Palm Springs', 'Babe Dahl' and 'Sea Nymph'

Can I just say my photos do these colors no justice? I feel terrible but today is such a dreary day and I'm still new at swatch photos. Let me just say that 'Sea Nymph' blew me away. I didn't think to try it out immediately but one day I did and using it over a combination of Pixie Epoxy and other colors really made it come alive. It is a beautiful color with lots of hidden color in it too in my opinion, I'm sure I saw a bit of pink sparkle in it...

From top to bottom: 'Idyllic', 'Electric Lady' and 'Aziza'

I'm glad I got these. I'm not sure I'd repurchase 'Electric Lady' as it's a bit of a usual purple but I do quite like 'Idyllic' and 'Aziza', especially the latter as it has a nice purple-black effect.

I love how with every purchase Susan gives a Kiss Me Tinted Lip Balm sample and I'm so in love with the one she chose to give me - 'Sorbet' looks YUMMY and I drool every time I look at it. I must get the full size of this! She also gave me an eye shadow, 'Frolic' which is the color I would've chosen - a Cheshire Cat purple!

From top to bottom: 'Sorbet', 'Frolic' and 'Racey Raspberry'

'Racey Raspberry' is a bit gritty but that's just the mixture I'm guessing and if you gently swipe it with your finger or a lip brush it smooths out. It's such a great color and the hidden purple surprised me when I hit it after a few applications. I'm using it up rather quickly, it's a perfect lip balm: very moisturizing and with enough color.

Overall I'm loving Darling Girl Cosmetics and I'm already planning my next order. Susan is really fast with coming up with new colors and you can even see what colors she's coming up with and her ways of using her own products on her blog so check it out! DGC is affordable and the best mineral make up that gives soft, feminine looks so if you're looking for subtle but make up that still stands out then definitely check DGC out.