Friday, March 12, 2010

The Vampire and The Virgin by Kerrelyn Sparks


I swore up and down I wasn’t going to get sucked into the whole “vampire” thing. Nope, nada, wasn’t gonna do it …I stamped my foot, I drug my heels, and almost threw a fit (but that’s not lady-like), but when I was asked to “just try this one, you’ll like it,”

I gave in … picked up Kerrelyn Spark’s “The Vampire and The Virgin” … and guess what?

I liked it! I liked it a lot!

Scottish vampire Robby MacKay has been sent by his family to the Greek island of Patmos to recover from his horrific injuries suffered at the hands of the Malcontents. Determined to exact his revenge, he throws himself into his rehabilitation and is soon up to fighting form and ready to head back into battle.

And then he meets Olivia Sotiris, the most gorgeous human he’s laid eyes on in hundreds of years, and suddenly revenge might could wait a few more weeks.

Olivia has come to her grandmother’s home for rest, relaxation and a bit of recovery of her own. An empath (she has the ability to read minds and tell when someone is lying) for the FBI, she has just come off a deplorable case involving Otis Crump, a serial rapist/murderer. Although in prison, the convicted Crump has been stalking Olivia, sending her boxes of apples wherever she is, to remind her of how he killed his victims.

She hopes her vacation in Greece will help her forget the stress she has been under. And when she meets handsome, sexy and debonair Robby, Olivia thinks she has finally found someone she can trust, and perhaps even fall in love with.

But will she still love him when she discovers Robby is a vampire? And when a box of apples appears at her grandmother’s home, she wonders if Robby’s mysterious ways means he might be involved with the stalking. While investigating her new love interest, she discovers a connection between Robby and Otis that she never would have dreamed could have occurred.

Olivia is in for the ride of her life as she becomes involved with the handsome Scots who just might change her life forever, if she can just keep those pesky fangs of his out of her neck.

Book nine of Kerrelyn Spark’s Love At Stake series, “The Vampire and The Virgin” is a fast-paced, intriguing dip into the lifestyles of the rich and the undead. Spark’s lively storytelling skills pulls her readers into the action with romance for the tender-hearted, battles for the adventure seekers, and enough blood-thirsty action for everyone, human and Vamps alike.

Even though this is the ninth book in the series, there is enough back-story provided to keep the current one moving along, and to peak the reader’s interest in the previous tales. (yes, I want to read the other books now, but just because Sparks is a fellow Texas gal … yea, that’s it…supporting a Texas writer.)

Many thanks to Wendy Ho at Harper Collins for the review copy of this book. I was not obligated to give it a favorable review, but I did, so there!

NOTE:
Now, let's be clear...I'm not fixing to get all "vampire" crazy and read everything I can get my hands and fangs on....The pictures below are my idea of cute vampires! lol!