Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bike Trailer

Alexa and Lillian ready for a ride.
Alexa wasn't happy because Lillian hit her in the face with a flashlight.
All ready to go!!

Since last summer when Alexa learned how to ride a bike and then how to ride her bike without training wheels, Adam and I had been talking about getting a bike trailer for Lillian, so we can all go on bike rides together. Well, it never happened last summer.

But, ever since March hit and we've had such amazing weather, we've all been itching to be outside enjoying the sun and warmth. It put the idea of getting a bike trailer back in our heads. I've been keeping my eye on Craig's List, waiting for that 'great deal'. Most of them, including the older not so nice ones have all been way more than what we wanted to spend. So, I was feeling a little discouraged. But, one day last week I saw a posting for one for just the right price. I had Adam call the gentleman right away, as I know these things are a hot commodity right now. I know this because I've emailed several people asking if they'd take a lower offer and they reply with, "No, I have 12 others that are willing to pay full price". This is after their post has been published for only over an hour. I knew it was a long shot, but Adam soon called back saying we got the trailer. The gentleman lived in Stillwater and said they had only used the trailer 6 times in the 2 years that they've had it. I figured they 'all' say that, just to make a sale. But, we saw a picture and it looked as decent as one can, taken on a cellphone. We arranged for our neighbor Mike, who works in Stillwater, to pick it up next Thursday when the guy got back from an out of town trip. Then later asked our friend Reggie, who lives in Stillwater to pick it up for us before the guy went out of town. (I was a bit anxious.) Reggie picked it up on Sunday and the guy showed him how to set it up and fold it down, so he could show Adam. Adam picked it up at Parade yesterday from Reggie and then was able to come home from work a little bit early to get it set up and hooked to my bike. It was in perfect condition. It doesn't even look like they had used it 6 times. It looked brand new out of the box.

Of course, even though is was dark out, we HAD to take it out for a test run. We snuggled both girls in the trailer, buckled them up, wrapped them in a blanket and off we went. Adam and I rode bike all around town with the girls so snug and safely following. It was amazing. We had so much fun and the girls LOVED it. Lillian didn't want to get out when we got home. She said she wanted to keep going. I think if we would have, she would have fallen asleep in there. It was a great investment and I know we'll get good use out of it. I have a feeling that it's going to be our evening ritual from now on. As soon as Adam gets home..on the bikes we go. It's also a great way to get to those fun parks that are just a little too far to walk to, but close enough not to want to have to drive. I'm anxious to get home and take the girls for another ride. It's supposed to get up to 71 degrees today.

[ quick weekend recap..]
Friday night we have pizza/movie night, as always. The girls watched The Princess and the Frog and then when they went to bed Adam and I watched Up in the Air. Saturday we went shopping for some Easter clothes for this upcoming weekend and then to the neighbors for a fun evening and BBQ. Sunday we went to church, Palm Sunday and had all the neighbors over for a Mexican Fiesta in our garage. Adam made enchilada's, rice, beans, guacamole and pico de gayo. It was delicious! The girls were in bed and sleeping by 8pm. Another fun-filled weekend spent outdoors with lots of great friends.