Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Full circle

Last week my filmmaking partner and I did a short northern California tour with our film Mad City Chickens. While there we drove through San Rafael....

10 years ago I was also in San Rafael and I happen to eat at a really excellent chinese restaurant. My dinner consisted of a wonderful plate of fresh garlic, spinach and rice. It was so good that I've remembered it and dreamt about going back to eat there quite a bit in the 10 years since then.

Well while in CA we decided to try and find that restaurant again. It was a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. No map. No name. After driving around a bit and not remembering much about the landscape. We decided to follow a gut feeling about where it was. A few random turns later, we suddenly recognized the greenhouse we had walked to...then the hotel we stayed in. We were getting warmer. (ever play that game?) Starting out from the hotel we had a general direction. A few more minutes of driving we found a street that looked vaguely familiar.
"House of Lee. That's it!!!" I shouted.



10 years later I've come full circle. The garlic roots and spinach were still on the menu! The waiter said it was even the same owner/cook!

Me - the happy camper.


About to have my first bite.



Was it good?



It sure was.