Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Facebook/Garage Sale/ FInally Feels like SUMMER!

My sister-in-law, Andrea was at our house last night. She is going up to Duluth today for some meetings. I try to follow exactly what she is doing and what the group she is heading is all about, but to be honest with you, she talks a mile a minute and jumps from one subject to the next in seconds, that my head is spinning by the end of the conversation. I love you Drea!

We spent a few hours last night after Lillian went to bed, creating a Facebook page for myself. As Andrea is the queen of Facebook, she was the perfect one to help me get set up. I never really cared much to have a Facebook, and quite frankly didn't really understand it that much. I'm never on the computer enough at home, or have the time to sit and "chat" or whatever you do on Facebook. But, I was prompted yesterday by an email I received from our office manager, Rachel, at our old townhouse. Actually, it was a message from Facebook, saying Rachel wanted to be my "friend". Talk about feeling like we're back in elementary school. "YAY, RACHEL WANTS TO BE MY FRIEND." The email said I needed to verify that I knew her and that I wanted to be her "friend", too. Now, the reason I was actually able to get this email was (if you remember back to the beginning of the year) when Alexa had her first dance recital at All Stars Montessori and Adam missed it due to a meeting and I accidentally (didn't) record it, we were able to view a clip of it on another parents "Facebook Page". So, I had to create an account or something, get accepted as this person's "friend" and then was able to view the clip. So, apparently I've been on Facebook for awhile, and just didn't know it.

And according to Andrea, that is like way super cool.

"OMG - I'm FINALLY Cool!"

[ Just a side note to being way super cool - I was complimented on my purse AND shoes at the dermatologist the other day. Talk about making my day! ]

Andrea helped guide me through the ins and outs of Facebook, helping me find "friends" and whatnot. Nothing like feeling completely invaded. All my pictures and comments and everything out for all my "friends" to see and read. After adding my brothers to my Facebook list of "friends", I learned that my face is all over Facebook, and so are my kids and even my husband. "Hello World! I'm Dawn 'Grout' Lares. I'm finally on Facebook - Please be my "friend"!"


I've taken on the task of having a garage sale at the end of the month. Not just any old garage sale - but a benefit garage sale. Little baby Amayah is still struggling to stay alive and her mother has been faced with going through all of this alone, as her husband has left her and the family, as it's apparently "too much for him to handle". Kris (the mom), has lost her job due to all the time spent with her precious baby at the hospital, holding on the hope that she will get better and she can finally bring her home. Amayah was born in April and hasn't left the hospital since. She was born with over 100 things wrong with her and has had several surgeries already in her short life. She is on a ventilator and Kris has been faced with making some very very tough decisions, ones that a mother should never have to make.

All Stars Montessori has been doing everything in their power to help, asking families to give as much as they can to help this family. Since I don't have the cash to give them, (especially the amount of cash I'd like to give), I've decided to have this benefit sale to help raise money for this family in need. I've collaborated with the school, asking families to donate any items they'd like to the sale with all the proceeds going to Amayah and her family. I'm hoping to get a great response. I've never had a garage sale before and even though I think it sounds easy enough, I know it will be a lot of work. But, I'm happy to do it and it's the least I can do for Amayah and her family.


The last few days have finally started to feel like summer, hot and humid. Temperatures have actually reached the 90 degree mark, which we haven't seen much of this summer. I received an email from the girls' school last yesterday afternoon saying, SWIMMING DAY TOMORROW! The teachers knew it would be another hot hot day, they decided to have the kids bring swimsuits and towels for "water day".

I picked them up yesterday, both were playing outside under a tent in the sandbox. They were both dripping with sweat and covered in sand. Lillian chugged 2 big glasses of water when she went inside and I found sand in the bottom of her cup that had come off her upper lip. They had sand everywhere, in their hair, between their toes and stuck to their faces.