Thursday, August 27, 2009

Benefit Sale Begins..

Ok, it's literally been forever since I've actually written a blog and not just posted a bunch of pictures. I tell ya, though, life's been crazy!

I've been spending most of my 'at home' time out in the garage working on the Benefit Sale for Baby Amayah. I've been getting such wonderful donations for the sale from my co-workers, my aunt and a family from the school. Yeah, I said 'a family', meaning one. I've been a little surprised that we haven't had more of a response from the families at the school, having been asked to either help with the sale or donate items for it. I've had one family donate all their left-over items from their sale and also their garage sale signs. Otherwise, nobody has offered to help work at the sale or donate. Not a big deal, I guess, just found it interesting. I know people are busy, ect. But, if you think of the big overall picture here, Amayah and her family are struggling A LOT more than any of us right now. Any amount of time or any small donation would help.
I've literally been out in the garage pricing and organizing stuff til midnight every night this week and even though it's made me a little stressed and a lot tired, I'm doing it for Amayah and her family in need.

I have to say that I could not have done this without my wonderful husband's help and support. In fact, I have him home right now (as I type) running the sale. Yep, we decided we have enough stuff to have the sale start today, go through tomorrow and then do the big push on Saturday. I went home on my lunch break to help him set things out and we had made $40 before I even had everything set out on the driveway and even before all the signs were put out. We're hoping the weather stays as nice as it is today - it is GORGEOUS! A perfect day for a sale.

My mom and dad will be coming tomorrow to help watch the girls and run the sale. We're looking forward to their visit ~ and their help.

Also, yesterday I got a phone call from Adam around noon saying that his car just stopped running a few blocks from his work. He was lucky enough to be close to a service center and one of his co-workers helped him push it there. A few hours later, after they were able to take a look at it, we found out that the engine was shot and it would cost much more than the car is worth to repair it. So, we say goodbye to the Grand Am (aka "The Caddie").

The girls and I went up to Minneapolis to pick Adam up after school/work yesterday and we drove to the service center where the car was to empty it out. As Adam dug around in the trunk - Alexa glanced out her window and asked, "Mommy, is Daddy saying a prayer for the car?" I realized then, seeing her sad face, that she was a little heart broken having to say goodbye to "Daddy's Car'. We all waved goodbye to it and blew it a few kisses.

That car has been through so much, a few accidents, being stolen, having the windows shot out. Poor thing, no wonder it stopped working.

We are given comfort, however, knowing that 'The Caddie' will live on with someone else, as a friend of Adam's cousin bought it for $200.00. He's a mechanic that will be able to work on fixing it up in his spare time and put a new engine in it. We hope to see it driving happily down the road some day.