Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I felt, quite....Motherly!


Since Friday my husband, my dearly beloved, has been down for the count - SICK!

This guys never gets sick, I mean NEVER! Maybe a small cold here or there or a bum ankle or a broken nose, but not sick. Not like he has been since Friday. I'm talking sore throat, coughing, blowing his nose every other minute, pale face, hasn't shaved in 3-4 days kind of sick.

Let me also say that in these rare instances (ok, the ankle thing, not so rare) he still manages to take things in stride and help out as much as he can. I even openly admit that when he is suffering, I'M the one who whines. Let's just say I wouldn't make a great single Mom. I need my companion, we do things together, we are a team. TEAM LARES!

Even though he helped clean the house on Sunday and mowed the lawn. The rest of the weekend, he was on the couch. He thanked me over and over for picking up the slack. And it's funny he said that because (no! I didn't feel like I was picking up any 'slack') I actually felt like I was taking care of things. Me, all by myself. I didn't go into panic mode that my partner was out of commission and I was to hold down the fort. I emptied all the rain water from the swimming pool, drug it out from under the deck, filled it with water and let my kids swim. I took them to the sprinkler park where there were nearly a hundred kids and let them play for 4 hours - 4 HOURS! I made sure they were fed, brushed their teeth, read them 12 stories and put them to bed, all without a single shout and did it all over again the next day, On top of all that I took care of the mountain loads of laundry, dishwasher loads full of dishes, ect. Doesn't sound like that big of a deal? It may not have been. But, it was the way I felt about doing it all. I was in control and took it upon myself to get things done without relying on Adam to do his half and not get mad. I was able to watch my kids play at the park and not feel rushed or overwhelmed. I was able to take care of things so he could get well. I felt, quite....motherly!

Last night he called me a little after 6 and through a big YAWN into the phone, he said he was on his way home (early). I got a little giddy, as it was such a gorgeous night. "Let's go on a bike ride", I said. His response was, "Don't get too excited - SNEEZE".
By 7:30 Adam was on one couch sound asleep and later moved to the bed. Alexa was on the other couch burning up and then freezing and then burning up and freezing again. She made a few trips to the bathroom, but only dry heaved. She wanted to vomit so badly, to get some relief, but couldn't.

What was happening to my family?

Lillian and I were playing nurse, by bringing them blankets, cold water (with straws), taking temps, running to the bathroom with Alexa and giving them comfort and love.
By 9 o'clock the 2 kids and my hubby were tucked in and dreaming.
I took Chip out for a nice long walk, took a deep breath and enjoyed the beautiful fresh air.
This morning, Adam feels like a million bucks and Alexa is back to her normal sassy self.
I DID IT!
*********************************

I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR VOTING FOR MY BLOG. PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING. REMEMBER, YOU CAN VOTE EACH AND EVERY TIME YOU VISIT. FEEL FREE TO VISIT OFTEN!!!

(I went from #1514 to #534 overnight from all your votes. WOW!)