Friday, July 17, 2009

Intuition

Our second car is still in the shop. I'm working at home today but needed to do some errands. On his way to work, my hubby dropped me and my bicycle off at my first stop. Yes, I could have rode to my errands and home again. Unfortunately we live in a valley. Every way I turn it's up. I've found if I tackle that large hill in the beginning, the rest of the ride is all about exhaustion and leg cramps. When I'm in better shape maybe I'll love that I live at the bottom of a bowl....maybe.

Before we left, there I am getting my backpack ready, grabbing my wallet, keys, hat, sunglasses...and my eyes fall on my point-and-shoot camera. "I should bring that with. " I think. My next thought is "Why? I'm doing errands with a little backpack and I don't want to carry anything else."

Then I'm at my last stop before riding back home and it's taking me a while to wind my bike lock back around my seat pole. Looking down through my tire I spy what looks like two yellow and brown leaves below me. No wait. It's actually a gorgeous moth. And I don't have my camera!!! Damn!

A lesson I have to learn over and over again. "Don't second guess your intuition." This was an example of a small missed opportunity but I still missed it.

However, I did "rescue" the moth from the sidewalk so no one will step on it.
Once home I looked it up in my Peterson Caterpillars book. A good thing to have if you garden. It's called an Imperial moth. They have a 5 to 5 1/2 inch wingspan. Such a spectacular looking moth. Not at all like the little ones the cats chase around the house.
This picture is in creative commons and is very close to the one I saw. The second one is shared from photobucket.
Imperial Moth 2 Pictures, Images and Photos