Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A trip to the dentist...

We took the girls in for dental visit this morning. Lillian's first and Alexa's second. They both slept in their own beds all night last night. Well, Alexa slept with Lillian in her bed all night, anyways. So, they had a great night sleep and were awake and alert this morning. Perfect moods for going to a place that isn't anyone's cup of tea. I mean, who can really say they like going to the dentist?

I came in to work this morning and then met Adam and the girls at the dentist at around 10:30 in time for our appointments. We ALL had check up's today. I went in with the attitude that all would go fine. I wasn't going to stress about being there myself, Alexa's traumatic first dental experience and it being Lillian's first time. Deep breath!

We filled out the normal paperwork required for our first visit at our new dental office in Farmington. I alerted the secretary that Alexa was a little bit scared from a previous bad experience, just so they could prepare the hygienist.

They took Alexa and I back right away. I think Alexa and I were under the impression that I would be going first and she would be going second. So, we were a little surprised when the hygienist told Alexa to hop up on the chair. It was no big deal, it just made Alexa a little more nervous. She got up on the chair and the hygienist (Angie) asked her a few questions. Alexa didn't want to even talk to her. All she said was that she brushed her teeth before she left the house. She showed her the tooth she lost and her new wiggly one and that was it. Angie had her lay back on the chair, which lasted maybe 5 seconds before Alexa's lip started to quiver and tears rolled down her cheeks. She turned to me and said she was scared and just started bawling. As much as I could see the absolute terror in her eyes, I had to be sympathetic but firm at the same time. Because of the nightmare we went through the first time, Alexa was not in any sort of mood for getting her teeth checked. I asked her if she wanted me to go first and she nodded yes through her tears. She stood by the wall as I laid on the chair, with tears just rolling down her face. My heart ached for her. It wasn't Alexa just being a baby, she was clearly terrified. She held my hand for a little while, but then I had Angie take her out to the waiting room with Adam and Lillian.

Angie continued with my cleaning and exam. She did a fantastic job. I was however, not in the mood to get my teeth cleaned at that given moment anymore. I was worried about Alexa. I felt so bad for her, but I needed so badly for her to get a proper cleaning and most importantly x-rays taken. I was hoping she'd have some time to relax in the waiting room and try again when I was finished.

I felt sick pretty much during my whole appointment, though. I felt like the chair was tilted so far back that I was laying literally upside down. I have terrible gag reflexes, which made the x-ray's very difficult being I have all my wisdom teeth and they need to shove the thing to the very far back of my mouth. I hate having someone that I don't know that close to my face and I can't stand the fact that I can't talk. Angie asked if I was a pop drinker and I said, No. She asked if I was a coffee drinker and I said, No. She said what other kind of sugars are you eating? I laughed to myself thinking, doesn't she see all those 'sweet teeth' inside my mouth. I love candy, I told her and by the way, I don't floss either. I wanted to be honest. Finally, the doctor came in, who looked like he was maybe 18 years old and told me I had 6 cavities. I've never had a cavity in my life and he said if I would have been flossing, I still wouldn't have any because all my cavities are between my teeth. Urgh, darn floss! On a brighter note, they told me I have very healthy gums. :)

While I was in my visit, Lillian was called back with Adam. Since this was her first visit, they do the bare minimum with her, just to get her familiar with everything. I wasn't there, but Adam said she sat on his lap and didn't want to open her mouth. Great! Both my kids are scared of the dentist. I had a concern with Lillian's front teeth that are chipped and (I have to double check with Adam) but, the dentist said that they were of no concern to him. They are baby teeth! She got a new toothbrush and she was happy.

I scheduled my 2 visits to get my fillings and then grabbed Alexa for another go at her exam. She was a tiny little ity bity bit more relaxed, but not much. Angie convinced her to lay on the chair and she'd count her teeth with her fingers only and not the sharp pokey thing. Alexa has 19 teeth! She should have 20, but she lost one. :) Then Angie said the doctor was going to come in and count her teeth. Alexa went into panic mode again and didn't want that. But, I sat on the chair and held her and told her it would be fine. He was going to do exactly what Angie did, just count her teeth. The dentist came in and was so great with Alexa. He was enthusiastic and really good at explaining things to her. However, she still didn't let him do anything but look in her mouth and count her teeth with his fingers. We all agreed that Alexa would clean her teeth and take pictures of her teeth at her next appointment in 6 months. But, I'm still afraid that Alexa is always going to think there is a 'next time' and keep pushing it off. I asked Angie if there was a concern for Alexa being 5 and not had a proper cleaning and exam yet and she said that the cleaning was ok, but she really needed to get those x-rays done. Ugh, next time!

Alexa was able to pick a sticker and we went and found Lillian, who was so patiently waiting while Adam was getting his teeth cleaned. Since we both drove, I took the girls home for lunch and then brought them to school. Adam called when he was finished and he has 3 cavities. Wow, we are bad!! At least we finally found a good place that we both like to continue with our 6 month appointments.

Until 'next time'....