Thursday, April 22, 2010

Deal of the Day = Bunk Beds for My Girls!!


I don't know how and I don't know why but I'm able to find a deal like no other. When there is a deal to be found, I will find it. I made the comment to my Mom the other day that I don't think I've paid 'full-price' on anything that I own. It all comes from the Clearance aisles, Craig's List, Thrift Stores or Garage Sales. I like buying second hand, revamping it and making it my own. Since buying our home, Adam has become 'crafty', meaning he likes to 'paint'.
My latest purchase was a bunk bed set for my girls. When I started looking for bunk beds, I wanted them to be wooden, white or could be painted white. Ideally, I wanted a twin over full, but would have settled for a twin over twin. My Mom posted a want ad on Freecycle in her area and a woman responded with a wooden twin over full bunk bed in excellent shape, but she was asking $275.00 for it. My Mom responded saying that it was a 'free' site, but would consider paying $125.00. The woman wished her luck finding a bunk bed, but would not accept her offer. I was super bummed because it was exactly what I wanted. It wasn't white, but could be painted.
I stayed optimistic and thought for sure something else would come up.
Yesterday morning I glanced through the furniture section on Craig's List and low and behold I saw a Children's White Bunk Bed listed. I clicked on the link for the picture and it was all disassembled in their garage, but I noticed that it was white and a style that I really liked. I read the description and it said it was a twin over full WITH a trundle. It came with side rails, the ladder and a 6 drawer dresser to match. Then I saw the price. I couldn't believe my eyes. $60.00 for the WHOLE SET.
Without even consulting Adam first, I quickly emailed the guy saying I was interested in the beds. THEN, I emailed the pictures to Adam. A few minutes later, I got a phone call at work from Adam saying I could get the beds. I was so excited, but as you know how Craig's List works - just because you email them saying you want something, doesn't mean it's still available or if they'll even respond.
I emailed the guy back apologizing for being a bother again, but I had been looking for a bunk bed set for my little girls for quite awhile and I was happy to see such a nice set for a price that was right for us. I was pretty much begging him to let me buy it. I also made the comment that my husband had 'finally' agreed to the whole bunk bed idea. I gave him Adam's cell number and hoped that it was still available so we could pick up over the weekend.
A short while later, I received an email back from Bob with the Bunk Bed's. He said, 'I like your story, they are still available, when can you come get them?"
I said this weekend would work for us, but he said we needed a truck AND a trailer. Since we don't have either, I was a little concerned on how we would transport it. He was located in Lake Elmo, which is up by Stillwater. So, I text my favorite neighbor, Mike (who works in Stillwater) and convinced him to pick it up for me. Plus, he has a big truck! :)
With a lot of back and forth phone conversations - and Bob telling Adam he liked my story of it being for 2 little girls, it was all arranged and Mike picked up what he could yesterday and delivered it to our garage. At first when I looked at it, I was a little disappointed because it wasn't in the kind of shape I would have liked. (I'm the anxious type and was hoping Ben and Adam could have it set up in the girls room right away - luckily I have a husband that will paint it, making it look as good as new.) It's a great quality heavy duty set, but the kids who owned it before, reminded me of our neighbor Maddie, who colors all over everything. There was marker and color crayon marks all over it. And the edges of the wood were worn. It definitely needed to be cleaned and repainted. Mike wasn't able to get it all in one load, so he'll bring another load today.
My brother Ben came over last night and was able to help Mike unload it and then helped Adam set up the pieces that we had in our garage. We started wiping it down with baby wipes (that clean absolutely everything by the way) and all the crayon and marker graffiti magically disappeared. We wiped down the whole entire frame and already it looks SO nice. With a nice fresh coat of paint, it's going to look brand new.
The bonus is that we also received the full size mattress and Mike said they had the 2 twin mattresses there that he'll pick up today. One for the top and one for the trundle. Plus a little step stool for Lillian to get up on the bottom bed. Yes, ALL for $60.00. It's going to look so nice when it's all repainted and set up in the girls' room.
Alexa and Lillian could not be more excited. Alexa has wanted a bunk bed for a long time. She likes the whole idea of having to climb up a ladder to get up on her bed. With the full sized bed on the bottom, the girls will be able to sleep together, too, if they want.
After I knew for sure we'd gotten the bunk beds, I had Adam take a picture of Alexa's daybed and posted that for sale on Craig's List. Last night I got 3 inquiries and the first gal said she'd take it and pick it up this weekend. I sold it for $100.00.
I made $40.00 :)



Here is part of the frame, set up in the garage.