Thursday, April 8, 2010

Kindergarten Round-Up

This morning Adam and I took Alexa to her Kindergarten Round-Up at Akin Road Elementary in Farmington. She was so excited and eager to go. I was excited for her, but still have many mixed emotions about the whole thing. She is so over and beyond ready for kindergarten and I know she will sail through, but she is my baby and I still feel like I need to baby her and nurture and take care of her. It's hard to handle her being so independent already and going off to school on her own.

We got there early enough to walk around the school a little bit and check things out. We were able to turn in the stacks of paperwork to the office secretaries. All Alexa needs are her kindergarten booster shots and she's good to go.

We took our seats in the gym and soon Hannah, our neighbor, arrived with her Mom and Dad. I've had talks with Carissa about the girls starting kindergarten together and she seems to be all for them being in the same class. I'm a little more hesitant, but think they will be JUST FINE!! We won't find out where they will be placed as far as afternoon or morning kindergarten and what classrooms they'll be in until mid-June to early-July. So, we'll just wait and see how things play out. The teachers have to deal with situations like that all the time and they have their own strategies on how to make it all work. I know Alexa and Hannah are super excited and are anxious to start school and Carissa and I have each other's shoulder's to cry on.

The principal spoke and introduced the teachers and office personal and then the soon-to-be kindergarteners took a seat in the front with one of their potential teachers and sang a few songs. After that, we were able to take a tour of the school and the classrooms, the library, computer lab and a school bus. We ended back at the gym where the girls did a coloring and snack project. When one of the teachers asked Alexa what her favorite part of the tour was she said, "the lockers". She was thrilled to be able to have her own locker when she starts kindergarten.

I'm so proud of my little Alexa. She did such a great job. I can tell that she will do amazing in kindergarten and that makes me happy.

As for me? I'm exhausted from all the mixed emotions. Happy, sad, excited, nervous, anxious...you name it. I'm sure many tears will be shed when I have to send her off on her first few days, but I want her to know that I could not be more proud of her and I love her all the way up to the stars in the sky and back.