Wednesday, November 18, 2009

....to be continued.

Sorry to delay the to be continued story so long, but my computer has been down at work and I just don't have time to write at home....so ...I'm trying to catch up here while making dinner. The kids are watching a movie and Chip has eaten and pooped outside already....so we're good to go.


So, back to Sunday. Before we left Linda's we ransacked her garage and found all sorts of Christmas goodies. Lights..reindeer..a nativity and even dishes...

We would have found more, but we ran out of room in our car to haul things back home.

Sunday afternoons are always a hit and miss with our family. Let me explain...

As you all know the Vikings play, usually at noon, and my husband is glued to the television. As the supportive wife that I am, I dress the girls and myself in our purple and gold jersey's, tie purple ribbons in our hair and shout GO VIKINGS a few times, to pump ourselves up. We all sit down to watch the kick off and a few minutes later I find myself staring around the room, thinking of other things..and then it just sort of happens...I don't know how..it just does. I fall asleep. Never fails. Now, being the good husband Adam is, he allows me to catch up on my beauty rest and tries to be super dad and occupy the kids, while watching the game. I usually get woken up by someone crying, shouting or jumping on me. My poor husband looks like he's seen his better days and my kids are bored out of their minds, waiting just waiting for the game to be over so we'll take them outside to play. One of these Sunday's, I owe my husband an afternoon of watching football in peace....alone..all by himself...


Thankfully, the Vikings won..so he was in a good mood.

So, after the game he decided to put up the Christmas lights we'd taken from his mom. It was a beautiful day so we all went outside, ready to help. Literally two steps out our front door and all the neighborhood kids swarmed to our feet. It was like they were waiting for us to come outside. I'm talking like swarms of kids. Of course, Alexa and Lillian were happy to be playing with their friends, but it made it a bit stressful for Adam and I to get our Christmas decorations up. Adam was up on the roof with the lights and I on the front steps with the light up reindeer, brand new in the box, needing to be assembled. I got half a deer put together and look up at Adam. The strand of lights he was putting on the garage got stuck on a shingle and with a little tug to get them loose, they all flew off the roof and crashed to the driveway, leaving muli colored glass all over the place. Explatives were shouted and I hurried to cover as many young ears as I could. How I wish I had ten arms. I thought Adam would give up after the mess he created, but he kept going, determined to give the girls a beautiful lighted house for Christmas.

The afternoon went on, I gathered the children to the back yard for a game of tag, so I could finish the reindeer. Surprisingly, I was able to follow the instructions and put together all 4 deer. However, it was starting to get dark and Adam was still on the roof. Not able to convince him to come down, I took the girls inside for some dinner. We promised them if they ate all their food, we could take them in the car and look at our lights from the road.

Adam finally finished, came in and ate and informed us there was just one more thing he needed..an extention cord. So, after we ate we put the girls in their jammies, loaded them and Chip in the car and off to Target we went. Adam ran in, got the cord and hurried back home to turn on the lights. He pulled into the driveway and us girls and Chip stayed in the car and waited for the beautiful lights to shine on our house. Adam ran behind the house...and we waited...and waited...and waited...and...then Adam came running around the house to the car and said the extention cord was 2 inches short. UGH! Luckliy he had another shorter one in the garage, so he ran back behind the house and again we waited...Lillian is sleeping by now, by the way. So, it's Alexa and I holding our breath, waiting for the bright lights to appear.

THERE THEY WERE.....How BEAUTIFUL!!

And then...

They were gone......


????????

Adam came running around the house again looking up at the lights, expecting to see his masterpiece...and he had the most dumbfounded look on his face. He ran to the car window, confused. I said.."they were on...for like 3 seconds and then they disappeared". He ran downstairs to check the curcuit breaker..everything was fine. Then, all of a sudden we spotted him up on the roof again, checking each light bulb. Can you say Clark Griswald?

It was pitch black and all he had was a small quarter sized flash light. Worried for his safety, Alexa and I just sat in the car and watched. And watched some more. After an hour of trying to figure it out, he finally gave up and asked if we could just go inside. Poor Adam. All his hard work and nothing.

It's a sad story, it happens to at least all of us once. You put up the lights and then they don't work. I know it happened to my dad more than once. I was always the one to be stuck helping him and I heard the same explatives. I'm just sad it had to happen to Adam the first year in our new house. But, I can't help but chuckle a little bit, too. Just imagine what he looked like...pitch dark, climing on the roof, miniature flashlight, running all around the house, plugging things in, tightening bulbs, checking the curcuits....it was funny. And I can say that because he's my husband.....and I love him.




***Later Adam figured out that he had too many lights plugged into the same outlet..so he is going to try again this weekend, do some rearranging of lights and hopefully get them to work. I'll keep you posted.