Friday, November 20, 2009

GIRLS ARE NOT FOR SALE!

Last night the Minneapolis Park Board and Youthline put on a fundraiser for teen prostitution awareness.

When Adam first told me about it, I thought, "Why do I need to go to this?" But, I wanted to go support him and this cause. So, I asked my neighbor Jamie if she'd like to come along with me.
I got our neighbor girl Tori to babysit the girls for me, so Jamie and I could attend this event.
As much as I'd like to blame my GPS for guiding us to St. Paul rather than Minneapolis, it turned out to be my fault for punching in the wrong address. Even so, Jamie and I enjoyed the tour of the city and laughed along the way. Luckily, the program didn't start until 6:30 and not 6 as we originally thought, so we made it there in plenty of time.

Still not knowing what to expect, Jamie and I said Hi to all of Adam's co-workers and then took a seat amongst a crowd of people in front of 2 large screens. Teens and Youthline workers wore black teeshirts with pink letters reading, "Girls are Not for Sale" on the front and "Girls should be celebrated, not sold" on the back. ( I want one! )

There were a few tables set up with information in teen prostitution and a refreshment table as well. Jamie and I took our seats and within minutes the program began. Yvette introuced herself and Youthline and talked about how she came about this issue and her wanting to help take a stand to make sure people are aware of this horrifying issue. She talked about a group they've started with teen girls in the parks that they work. Then, started a video documentry called "Very Young Girls".

The documentry highlighted several girls that were active in 'the life', as they called it. These girls were so young, and by young I mean age 11 and older. It was heartbreaking watching them speak about their lives and how they got involved in prostitution. They showed and talked about how they were brainwashed by their 'pimps' and how they were sexually exploited and beaten. It was one of those things that you didn't really want to watch or see, but couldn't make yourself turn away.

Jamie and I found ourselves with our mouths hanging wide open most of the time, in shock that this was going on in our world. Not that we're completely oblivious, but it's one of those issues that's not talked about in the news or on TV much. It's a topic that we're aware of in the back of our heads, but never talk about. We found ourselves upset at the girls for not having more control of themselves and their bodies and at the men who think that they can buy these girls, own them and sell them to other men.

The end of the documentry showed some of the girls relapsing and others going off to being successful women, getting married and having children, getting real jobs and renting their own apartments.

Then, a 15 year old girls was brought to the front of the room and read a poem to us about her life as a prostitute. Now if watching the documentry wasn't hard enough, listening to this girl standing right there in front of us talk about her life working on Lake Street here in Minneapolis, Minnesota (a street I've driven on several times) since she was 11 years old broke me down to tears. I wanted to run up there and hug her, hold her and tell her how she is better than that and deserves so much more in her life.

They had a question and answer session at the end of the program and I can't remember the name of the organization that Youthline partnered with, but it was clear that there is not enough awareness and support out there on this issue. There is nowhere, except a homeless shelter, for these young women to go and get help and support here in Minnesota. We need to help take stand and bring more awareness to this horryfing issue and help girls realize that they aren't for sale.

Please visit the website below for more information.

http://www.gems-girls.org/girlsarenotforsale.html