Saturday, March 14, 2009

#48) Mega-Orange Muffins



These giant muffins were quite a surprise when I took the first bite!!! I never imagined the orange flavour would be as prominent as it was and the texture was simply perfect. The orange flavour can be attributed to the orange juice and more so to the amount of zest included. The texture can be credited to the use of cake flour and the addition of whipped egg whites. Although I love these muffins as is, next time I am planning on adding some orange jam to the middle before baking :)

Ingredients

2 egg whites
1 3/4 cups cake flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup orange juice
zest of one large orange (my orange was the size of a softball!)

Steps

-Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a jumbo muffin pan.
-Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
-Whisk together dry ingredients. Add oil and juice. Mix until combined.
-Gently fold in egg whites.
-Divide between muffin wells and bake for 20 minutes.